The City of Ottawa is undertaking the renewal of Bank Street from Riverside Drive to Ledbury Avenue. The vision for the Bank Street renewal is to construct a functioning and safe complete arterial main street with a well-balanced multi-modal transportation network which will cater to vehicles, transit, cyclists and pedestrians.
To achieve this goal, some of the following aboveground and underground improvements are proposed:
- Full road reconstruction on Bank Street between Riverside Drive and Ledbury Avenue that includes cycle tracks in both directions and protected intersections.
- Introduction of full height and mountable curb medians along sections of Bank Street.
- Implement streetscaping features along Bank Street, including but not limited to new street furniture, streetlights, trees, concrete sidewalks, grassed sections and paver stones.
- Reconstruction of sanitary sewer, storm sewer and replacement of distribution watermains within the project limits.
- Review and improve bus stop and bus shelter locations.
- Renewal of Bank Street Sawmill Creek culvert.
This project will be guided by the work completed as part of the Bank Street functional design study. The approved functional design of Bank Street was a product of an extensive study process, which included consultation with the public.
The design team is progressing through the Detailed Design activities, which includes refinements to the roadway cross-sections and proposed roadway geometry and configurations. They are finalizing the water main, sanitary sewer and storm sewer infrastructure designs, continuing the landscaping design, undertaking property acquisitions, as well as coordinating utility relocations, agency approvals, and designs for new traffic signals and street lighting. Construction staging and traffic management strategies during construction are also currently being developed.
The project design is being adjusted to implement the City’s new Protected Intersection Design Guide (PIDG) which was released in September 2021. This has had an impact on the design schedule.
Public information session
A public information session is being planned for late 2022 to provide residents and businesses with an update on the proposed Bank Street design. During that meeting the construction timelines and what to expect will also be discussed. Further information will be communicated once the date is set for the information session.
- Design: Detailed design underway, completion fall 2023.
- Public information session: late 2022
- Construction: The timing of construction is dependent on budget approvals and overall construction coordination. More details will be shared in advance of work commencing.
Infrastructure and Development in Riverview Park
While the Bank Street renewal project is not within the boundaries of Riverview Park, there are many infrastructure and development projects underway or in planning stages within Riverview Park. You can get updates on those projects in our Planning and Development page.