City approves new Official Plan
Ottawa City Council approved a new Official Plan for Ottawa this week – the City’s most comprehensive planning document. It marks the first time that Ottawa has adopted a new Official Plan since 2003.
The new plan will guide growth and redevelopment in Ottawa for the next 25 years and is framed around five big policy changes:
- Growth – encouraging more growth through intensification and providing more affordable housing
- Mobility – promoting sustainable transportation and encouraging complete streets.
- Urban Design – ensuring intensification happens in ways that benefit the streets and communities involved
- Resiliency – bringing environment, climate and health considerations to the forefront of planning
- Economy – establishing a strong relationship between land use and economic development
The new Official Plan is designed to help Ottawa become a city of connected, green, inclusive and walkable communities, with greater density of housing, employment and services around rapid-transit hubs and along transit corridors.