It’s that time of year again! Students all across Ottawa are making their way back to school. Do you remember how to drive safely in School Zones – or even what a School Zone looks like? Nearly a quarter of drivers report seeing close calls in school zones, so take care and make sure you’re following all recommendations to keep pedestrians, cyclists and all road users safe!
- Reduce speeds in school zones
- Be alert and ready to stop
- Be on the lookout for and obey school bus signals
- Watch for kids biking to school and give them space
- Watch for pedestrian crossovers (PXOs), and follow the rules
- Obey adult crossing guards and watch for walking school bus leaders
- Leave some extra time to get travel during school bell times
- Be patient – everyone is getting used to school being back in session!