|Ontario Highway Traffic Act and the Ottawa Traffic and Parking Bylaw require the following:
- Stop at all stop signs and red lights.
- Signal all lane changes, turns and stops.
- Drive/ride on the right side of the road.
- Drive/ride only in the designated direction on one-way streets.
- It is unsafe and illegal to ride on the sidewalk.
- Share the road with other users.
- Use lights when driving/riding at night.
- Have a bell or horn on your bike.
- Cyclists wear a helmet (required if under 18 years old), drivers wear a seatbelt.
- Cyclists use proper hand signalling when turning and stopping.