|The City of Ottawa’s Human Needs Task Force and Just Food are partnering to provide seeds and soil to 3000 households living on lower incomes in Ottawa. Home gardens are a great way to grow your own food, stay active, and support positive mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who can get a seed and soil package?
- People in Ottawa living on lower incomes or who have lost their job due to COVID-19.
- Must have access to a personal yard (can be small).
- There are 3000 seed and soil packages available to distribute throughout the community over the next 2 weeks.
- Given out by registering on a first-come, first-served basis.
What is included in a seed and soil package?
- Each package comes with:
- 6-7 different types of seed (swiss chard, kale, turnip, cabbage, beets, peas, yellow and green beans)
- Soil: an amount equal to 3 black/blue recycle boxes full
- Basic instructions and links to other information on how to grow Maximum 1 package per household
Can I pick which seeds are included in my seed package?
- All seed packages come with the same quantity and type of seeds. These seeds have been chosen as they are compatible with Ottawa’s weather and shorter growing season. (There is still enough time to plant in June!)
How do I register for a seed and soil package?
- Fill in the registration form at https://justfood.ca/garden2020/ You will then be contacted by a member of our joint team to schedule a location and time for pick-up and get a list of gardening resources.