|There are currently no confirmed or presumptive positive cases of novel coronavirus in Ottawa.
What is the risk to residents of Ottawa?
The Public Health Agency of Canada has assessed the public health risk associated with the current novel coronavirus infection in Wuhan, China as low for Canada. Public health risk is continually reassessed as new information becomes available.
How is Ottawa Public Health is monitoring the novel coronavirus situation?
Ottawa Public Health is following the lead of the Ontario Ministry of Health, Public Health Ontario, and the Public Health Agency of Canada in responding to the novel coronavirus. Ottawa Public Health has a strong partnership with local hospitals who have put measures in place to screen individuals who are suspected of being infected by the novel coronavirus. Please read signs and follow all instructions when visiting a hospital.
The Ministry of Health has added novel coronavirus as a designated disease reportable under Ontario’s public health legislation. Now, physicians, hospitals and other care facilities will be required to report a suspected or confirmed case of the novel coronavirus to their local Medical Officer of Health.
If a suspected or confirmed case of novel coronavirus were to be identified in Ottawa, Ottawa Public Health would work with the Ministry of Health, Public Health Ontario Laboratory, and local hospitals in the management of the case and any contacts.
How can you protect yourself and your family?
To reduce the spread of germs including the flu and the novel coronavirus we recommend that you:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth unless you have just washed your hands with soap
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your arm, not your hand
- If possible, stay home if you are sick
- Avoid visiting people in hospitals or long-term care centres if you are sick
- It is still recommended to get your flu shot if you haven’t already as the flu virus is still circulating in the community