RioCan. is beginning to develop Phase 1 of the property at Elmvale Acres Shopping Centre located at 1910 St. Laurent Boulevard.
A new 9-storey, rental residential building will be located at the corner of Othello Avenue and Smyth Road where the existing Kelsey’s building is currently located. The construction of this project will be managed by EllisDon who plans to begin demolition of the Kelsey’s building during the week of September 2nd, 2019. The demolition phase is expected to take approximately two weeks and will be immediately followed by excavation for two levels of below-grade parking, installation of the crane structure, and then finally construction of the new building. We’ve been told total construction and buildout to be complete by Fall of 2021.
Elmvale Acres Shopping Centre is an integral part of our community and will remain open to the public for the entirety of the construction period. RioCan has pledged that they will continue to work closely with the tenants for all construction coordination to ensure minimal disruption to both the shopping centre tenants and its visitors.
If you have any concerns or questions about the Elmvale Acres development, please don’t hesitate to email me at JeanCloutierOtt@Ottawa.ca or call my office at 613-580-2488.
Phase 1 development will include the following roadway changes on Othello, between Hamlet and Smyth:
- The addition of a 3.5m wide northbound right-turn lane on Othello, between Hamlet and Smyth;
- Site egress at the Hamlet/Othello intersection to operate as a right-out only. All inbound traffic movements at this intersection to be permitted.
- A 2.0m wide sidewalk on the east side from the site driveway north to Smyth;
- A 1.8 to 2.0m, wide sidewalk on the west side of Othello from Hamlet north to Smyth;
- A pedestrian crossover (PXO) on the south leg of Othello at Hamlet;
- A pedestrian crosswalk on the west leg of Hamlet at Othello;
- A bulb-out at the southwest corner of the Othello/Side Driveway/ Hamlet intersection; and
- A raised intersection.