The City’s Trees in Trust program needs your help to find suitable locations for street trees. Street trees are available by request on a first come, first served basis. If your City-owned street frontage lacks a tree and you have the time and commitment to help care for one, please contact us.
- There will be no charge to the homeowner (supply and planting will be provided by the City).
- The program applies only to homes with street frontage (the space between your property line and the roadway).
- The property owner must pledge to assist with the proper tree care (watering) for the first three years of the tree’s life. Instructions will be provided.
- Trees will be a minimum size of 50 mm diameter, or 2 to 3 meters in height.
- Limit of one tree per single fronting household or two trees per corner lot.
- The proposed location must meet the Trees in Trust program criteria.
The following criteria will be used to assess potential planting sites:
- Is there enough space? (other trees or obstacles must be a minimum of 7m away)
- Are there overhead or underground utilities?
- Does the soil quality appear to be acceptable for tree growth?
- Are there any conflicting uses on the planting site?
- Has the request been made by the homeowner? (i.e. the person who pays taxes on the property)
- Is there an obvious conflict with traffic safety requirements or City maintenance (i.e. sightlines or snow removal operations)
Requests will be received on an ongoing basis and placed in the next available planting season (spring or fall).Should you require additional information, or if you would like to participate in the Trees in Trust program,please contact 3-1-1.